Wood floors are among the most beautiful and long lasting floors available, and when properly cared for, can last a lifetime and then some. We’ve compiled a list of key things that you will want to know about care and maintenance to protect your investment.
- Wood is a hygroscopic material, meaning it gains or loses moisture with changing humidity levels.
- Wood will shrink in dimension when it loses moisture and expand when it gains moisture.
- This will result in seasonal cracks or gaps, which open in the winter and close in the summer. This process is completely normal.
- In our climate, relative humidity levels in your home should be maintained between 30% and 50%, year round.
- The key consideration is careful monitoring to maintain a level that is as consistent throughout the year as possible.